Starting a community project can be challenging, but it can also be really rewarding especially, when the positive results are achieved. When people start talking about the project it creates a sense of community.
For our recycling community project we considered the following:
How to create awareness. as well as. create projects that could be adopted as a community recycling project?
- Find effective, efficient and economical pre-sorting ideas to develop as an in- house project i.e. sorting specific items into related containers/bags
- Starting a door-to-door collection service where residents have already pre-sorted the recyclables
- Invest in a mobile recycle container, however we would need to consider the cost of such an expense.
For this project our focus is on the rivers of South Africa
It is imperative that we focus on our rivers: As there is no control over the rubbish floating in the rivers, we aim to call a halt to the polluting.
Communities need to realize that clean water is scarce. It is their responsibility to ensure that every effort is made to reach our/their goal i.e. a clean and healthy environment.
- Creating awareness. The public have no idea how bad the situation has become. The pollution in our rivers have reached a critical point. We need to involve communities to be part of the solution.
- We would like to have members of the public join us and eventually adopt the project as their own, thereby taking ownership of their rivers
What is the goal for this recycling idea?
- To eradicate any rubble, especially plastic from getting into the sea
- To stream-line the process. We can narrow the area of collection before we start collecting the rubbish.
- Train people on site – everybody must fulfill a specific goal on site.
- Use the scrap to generate an income
- It is important to collect data that can be analysed and used later when we work on different rivers and areas
- As the process continues, we need to consistently monitor our progress to ensure we are working in the right direction. A progress report must be created and updated
What is the proposed budget for this project?
I haven’t worked out a budget yet. An accurate budget will be available once all the elements of the project come together.
First things first
We are going use our own money in order to start building the barriers that will float on the rivers.